Monday, August 27, 2007

Baptismal Covenants

When we entered the waters of baptism, we made a covenant with the Lord. These covenants we made will help us perfect ourselves in order to reach our eternal goals. The missionaries who baptized me taught me a simple method on how to remember my baptismal covenants the easy way.

First, I just have to remember the word TAKE, simply spelled T-A-K-E.

T – means “to take upon myself the name of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. He will be my inspiration in all things I do each day of my life. To take upon myself the name of my Saviour means living a worthy life which is pleasing to our Heavenly Father. After our baptism we became disciples and members of our Lord Jesus Christ true church. And now that we carrying His name, we do not want others to criticize us because of our poor actions and examples.

A – means “to always remember Him”. How do I remember my Saviour each day of my life? The only way that I can show to my Saviour that I always remember Him is by coming to Church every Sunday, partake of the sacrament, and by my daily prayers.

K – means “to keep His commandments.” The Savior said, “if ye love me, keep my commandments.” I know Heavenly Father has not given us any commandments that we cannot afford to follow. If we are sincere to Him, we will do all that we can to show that we really love Him.

E – means “ to endure to the end.” To endure to the end means “to last”, “to continue” , “to remain” or “to suffer”. To endure to the end also means to remain and be faithful in the church until the end of our mortal life.

Baptism is one of the first steps we take to come to Christ. I know that only through continued obedience, will we be able to overcome spiritual death and the only sure way to return to the presence of our Father in Heaven.

We promised to our Heavenly Father that we will endure to the end. The covenants we made and the blessings we can receive from keeping it are eternal. Keeping the commandments help us be happy in this life, gives strenght in all our trials and will draw us more closer to our Heavenly Father.

Having the faith to follow the Savior brings the “light of Christ” into our lives—light that will lead us back to His presence someday.

No comments: