Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Treasures In Heaven

Good afternoon, dear brothers and sisters. It is a wonderful blessing for us today to gather in this conference to touch a very special subject that we sometimes haven’t really thought much about, and yet has a greater part towards reaching our eternal goals.

The theme of today’s conference are words taken from the mouth of Helaman to his sons as found on the 8th verse of the 5th chapter of the Book of Helaman. “And now my sons, I have somewhat more to desire of you, that ye may do these things to lay up for yourselves a treasure in heaven, yes, which is eternal, and which fadeth not away; yes, that ye may have that gift of eternal life, which we have reason to suppose hath been given to our fathers.

Brothers and Sisters, had you ever wished that you could find or inherit a treasure? Many people often think that money or possessions will make them more happier in life. Naturally, a lot of people wanted to have something big for themselves, something that could make them rich so to enable them to have complete strength and security for anything that will allow them to carry on and fulfill their wishes in life. And, even some of us here are constantly looking to find these treasures in the outside world.

But have we realized that obviously, treasures we could find in this world could not fully give us that which we really hoped and dreamed of. Many people have to live their whole lifetime just to find out that inspite of all the treasures and riches of the world that they have in their hands yet in the end have not fully found real life's happiness. They remained hollow and empty, unhappy and unsatisfied with their lives, and continually lives with fear. Natatakot ako, baka bukas bigla na lang bumagsak ang buhay ko. I still need to stay here abroad for many more years until I have saved a lot of money, so when I get back to my home country I'll just have to lay down in a bed of roses.

I remember last Friday when I was on my way walking to the temple, I passed by this street of many big mansions surrounded with high concrete wall fences. Aside from being high, these concrete fences have sharp iron spikes striking out in its top designed to fully protect the inhabitants of the house. For me, these walled mansions look like catacombs. I know that most people living in these mansions must be very important and very rich and influencial people. But in my heart I felt so sorry to see them confined in these high concrete walls. Could it be because of their fear of something that is haunting in their minds that something could unfortunately happen. But let me tell you something, do you know that Heavenly Father has given us something more valuable than earthly treasures. Treasures that we could take with us even after this life? Let me remind you of what our Savior, Jesus Christ, promised us, that “In my Father’s house there are many mansions, I come to prepare a place for you”.

So what are these treasures that one could bring to Heaven. The Lord explained, “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break• through and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures• in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Matt 6:19-21) Here the Lord gives a clear explanation of what a real treasure is.

The Lord once spoke to the Isralites, “Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine.” We are a covenant people of God. We made our first covenant with Him during our baptism, to take upon ourselves His name, to always remember Him, to keep His commandments, and to endure to the end. Then, we made another covenant with our Lord in the temple during our endowment. To be endowed means to be given a gift, an eternal gift of exaltation, to be crowned someday as a prince and a king, a princess and a queen in the eternal throne of God. The beautiful promise of exaltation is the greatest treasure we can lay up in heaven.

For me, as a husband and a father to my own family, I consider the love I have for my family as my dearest treasure. I cannot picture myself or just dream about myself being in heaven without my family with me. I want to have my wife and my sons with me in the eternities. I will never give up for anything else the eternal welfare of my family.

The miracle of the only real treasure is that it constantly produces blessings and the overcoming of fears. I do not fear if every material things in my life will be taken away from me as long as I am sure that I will have my wife and my sons with me in the eternities. I am so grateful to know that families can be together forever. For you who have your own families, make your family as your priority in life. Do not make anything in this world be an obstacle for the eternal welfare of your family. Mothers, your children needs you more than the money you are sending them. Your husbands needs you more than anything else in this world. I know that this is true because I am a husband, too. It is noble of you to leave your homes in order to give a brighter future for your children. But this is not supposed to be the case. Please do not deny your husbands their sacred responsibilities to financially support you as his wife and to his children. It is by sad experience that many of our Sisters are suffering from the consequences of your wrong choices. I know that your intention is noble but please take a look, turn your back and see what is happening with your family.

Let us ask ourselves, am I doing these things for the eternal welfare of my family? Could my absence from home help build up an eternal bond with my children? Is my wife and I keeping our marriage covenant. Am I sure that my children are not straying away from their paths towards eternity. Ask ourselves these questions because if we really love our family, then shall our hearts be with them also.

The Lord in a revelation to the prophet Joseph Smith said, “I tell you these things because of your prayers; wherefore, treasure up wisdom in your bosoms”. Knowledge and wisdom that comes from learning and truly keeping and following the teachings of the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ comes next as an important treasure we can lay up for our heavenly home.

The church has written numerous books about the teachings and life of our Lord Jesus Christ. The lessons in our Sunday classes are designed by our church leaders to help us fully understand the true meaning of the gospel and teaches us how to apply it in our lives in order to help us deal with our everyday challenges in life. I have a strong testimony of the teachings of the church. I know that what I am now, I owe most of it from the wisdom and knowledge I have learned from the church. I love to read the writings of the prophets. They talk to us in our days. It is truly a guide and a Liahona in our lives, teaching us the right directions towards our way back to our Heavenly Father’s kingdom. These knowledge and wisdom are truly treasures we can lay up for our heavenly mansion. I would like to encourage you not to miss any of your Sunday classes. Let’s listen and apply its principles in our lives.

Now, at this point, I would like to address this next principle of treasure to our single sisters and brothers. I say sisters first because this is where my dearest and most concern is. For you single sisters, if you were to choose between comfort of life and eternity which one would you choose. By sad experience there are many of you who after receiving your most sacred and holiest covenant with the Lord in the temple has chosen to turn away for worldly comforts. I know that sometimes, because of the difficulty of life, you would rather prefer to marry someone who can provide you with all the comfort and necessities of life. Let me tell you, and I want to be frank with you that marrying a non-member husband does not lay up treasure in heaven. A non-member husband will not be there with you in heaven. You broke your covenant with God and you have thrown away the crown of the riches of eternity.

To be a queen or a king in heaven will require a test of faith. Living the highest standard of morality is expected by God from each one of those who will be receiving the crown of exaltation. There is no easy way to reach exaltation. Only through long suffering, patience, love and devotion to the promises we made with our Savior can we achieve our highest goal.

We are a covenant people of God. We cannot serve two masters at the same time. We have to choose to serve God or mammon. Sometimes in our lives we will be tested of our faith. Heavenly Father will see if we will choose between money and comforts of life or eternity. We cannot bring worldly riches to heaven.

It is indeed necessary that we as members decide day by day whether we want to allow our fears to direct our actions or to live with a constant prayer in our heart to be able to examine all feelings and emotions that come to us. We must trust the power of Heavenly Father in our lives.

Our church is guided by revelations from heaven. The Spirit will teach us the right way to our Heavenly Father’s kingdom. I know that the greatest wealth and treasures in life is our knowledge of a true and living God. That He knows each one of us and answers our prayers. That we have a Savior and a dear brother who saved us from our sins. That Jesus Christ is our Lord and our redeemer. That Heavenly Father has a plan for us, that he wanted us to be like Him. That He wants us to have with us our family in heaven. That he want us to be partakers of the rich eternal blessings of eternity.

This is my testimony, that I know that Heavenly Father has prepared a mansion for each one of us in heaven. I remember one day, I was walking with my wife, we saw a beautiful mansion and I whispered to her that someday I’m going to build her a big house just like that. She looked at me in my eyes and said that I don’t need to build a big house for her because we already have a mansion awaiting for us in heaven. And besides that it would be difficult for her, anyway, to clean up a big house everyday.

I love you sisters and I care for you. Sister Ganzon knows that. She can tell you how much I care for each of you. I know that you are now facing great challenges. Remember that you are always a part of our prayers. We mention your names in our prayers. I know that Heavenly Father loves each one of us and He will be there to always answer our prayers.

No comments: